Sunday, May 03, 2009

Songs I Can't Get Out Of My Head: Vol. 13

Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - "Young Adult Friction"

Pains Of Being Pure At Heart create little pop gems full of zippy keyboards and jangly guitars.  This track offers a little mantra in its steadily repeated phrase, "don't check me out." 


Death Cab For Cutie - "My Mirror Speaks"

The standout track from Death Cab's The Open Door EP, this song's tempo and charm make it feel like it could belong on any of their albums, though it's a B-side from Narrow Stairs.  


Blind Pilot - "Oviedo" 

Blind Pilot are quickly gaining speed -- touring with the Hold Steady and the Decembrists and getting ready for dates at Lollapolooza and Outside Lands.  Singer Israel Nebeker lets his voice drift into Ben Gibbard territory occasionally on this track.  The beautiful melody and simple instrumentation showcase poetic lyrics like, "I didn't know the weight of my tongue / I didn't know what I've done."


Little Boots - "New In Town"

If you could put an electro pop touch on a slow jam and then throw in a touch of disco, it might sound something like this track from Little Boots.  



No comments: